When I needed to experiment with color gradients in the porcelain, I went to ask Tas.
He gave me samples of tiles made in the past by other students but, unfortunately, they weren’t right for me.
so I decided to make two small plaster moulds to pour two porcelain tiles at a time trying different percentages of color.
The colour must be mixed and left to rest for at least one night so that the colour joins the porcelain body.
the moulds were not made with the due care and so they broke while I was trying to extract the wooden tile from which to take the shape.
Once again I had wasted time doing things in a hurry. But no regrets and away with the new mould for my little tiles. Tilted the side, smoothed the surface and off with two more molds.
Once obtained the shape I made the first smooth tile, without color, to weigh the amount of porcelain needed to fill the mold.
After I did the math, I started mixing the porcelain in the glass jars.
starting at 3% to 8% for yellow and 7% for blue.
I defined the percentages after reading the blog of a ceramist on the internet and after asking other people I know about it and, since both sources reported more or less the same number, I decided to try starting from a minimum of 3.
At the beginning it was just until the 6% but, not satisfyed with the result (even if not fired) I did also other samples until 9%
I also found what seemed to be other colors suitable for porcelain, but I couldn’t figure out if they were, so I decided to give them a try.
Since I still couldn’t go back to the university to pick up the cooked pieces, I still don’t know if they turned out well or not.
6 yellow (3% to 9%)
5 blue (3% to 7%)
1 blue marine (6%)
1 orange (6%)
1 red (6%)