From the first experiments with this material I began to think that I wanted to test how various layers could be joined together and if it became more rigid.
So I decided to take a shape like a tray and covered it with baking paper so that the thermoplastic would not stick to the metal body.

I ran the process with a heat gun so as not to have contact with a flame.
The use of the heat gun was similar to that of the propane torch but more functional given the possibility of adjusting the intensity of heat.

I did not follow a graphic or a shape that resumed the urban use but I tried to overlap it in several different ways noting the difficulties.

The levels join well but it’s difficult to control how to melt the material and above all it’s difficult not to melt the other parts already joined while attaching a new one.

The end result is a very flexible tray that retains its shape.
The tray levels can be partially separated and the material itself is easily scratched.

I would also like to be able to work with new types of these thermoplastics because the one used is one of the cheapest and then not reflective. Maybe using the powder one you can apply it more like a resin/paint.
Il risultato ottenuto non è sicuramente soddisfacente e credo che ci sia bisogno di un materiale su cui si attacchi per creare resistenza.

Kind of like the thonet chair repaired by the New York design duo, Chen&Kay

I have already tried to contact companies that produce this type of products to get samples of different material so that I could understand the differences between the various types and also to try to create a collaboration for a future use of the material, thus finding a supplier interested in bearing some costs of my research.