The point at which I stopped last time did not properly represent my vision of the object I was trying to achieve.
The previous step was useful to understand how to use the lathe.

The first thing I wanted to change was the seat, which had been made simply with waste wood, inspired by the composition of wooden plates that are used in scaffolding.
These sheets of wood are often placed side by side and, leaning on the support tubes, they create the platforms on which the workers climb up. The two characteristics that I decided to take up are:

  • the approximate length that comes out of the tubes of the structure
  • the alignment of their imprecise ends
  • the nailed strips placed in the thickness of the short side to hold the wood fibres together

So I decided to form the seat with three plates adjacent but not aligned at the ends between them.
Two of these slabs were drilled at the point where the vertical tubes of the structure come out so that all three stars can lean on the horizontal supports.

The second part was to create all the small inserts that have to be inserted in the ends of the tubes. 8 for the horizontal parts and 4 for the vertical tubes in which the 2 plates of the seat fit.
In order to produce them, I tried to reduce the time by arranging them alternatively adjacent with the heads two by two, thus having larger and more easily executable turning parts.

As for the feet, instead, I did not make the same reasoning because (stupidly?) I thought that since there was so much difference between the larger and smaller diameter of the joint, a breakage could occur in the segments with the smaller diameter.

Once all the components were made I added the last detail, the iron plate nailed on the thickness of the short side.

To make it I made a sheet of aluminum, cut a strip of 1 cm with a guillotine blade (photo) and then I shaped it on the edge of the seat holding it with pieces of adhesive tape.
Once defined the shape I made a mark on where to make the holes and I went back to the workshop to drill the sheets.

Bought also the nails I decided to drill the wood first with the drill so that there were no cracks in the wood grain. The holes made, however, had to be as long as the nail itself because otherwise it would not have caught on the wood, so I took the measurements making some tests and I defined the length by applying adhesive tape on the tip of the drill so as to have the point where to stop.

A few days after the final realization of the stool I made these photos in the laboratory to define the end of a process and start a new one.

The lower part of the seat has not been deliberately oiled in order to enhance the difference between what we see and what is more hidden in a product and, at the same time, because I wanted a memory of the change of the wood before being treated with oil.

The final result satisfies me much more than the first two previous steps.
The aesthetics has a much clearer and more defined reference to the scaffolding, even though on a technical level it has many leaks.
The joints are too weak because there is no block that holds them together is, although precise, the joint with time deteriorates.

The seat is resistant and can accommodate the weight of a person even in this scale but the central slab wedged between the other two is connected to them only through the aluminium band on the thickness and this determines a too weak bond. When you lift the stool taking it only from the central axis it comes out slightly from its position.

The feet have a shape that attracts the final supports of the scaffolding but their resemblance is light and not as obvious as I would like it to be.

The production process of this stool has helped me to know what I am really looking for from a design point of view; the search for simple shapes that have a direct reference to my sources of inspiration, a simplicity that also turns into the absence or reduction of interlocking elements and materials present.