Starting from the structure that I did previously, I decided to try to make the inserts with the wood lathe, as my initial idea, before I could not perform it because the lathe had been booked for the entire week.
I asked Neal for a piece of peach wood to do the first test.
The diameter of the inner tube is 12 mm and the diameter of the outer tube is 16 mm.

The wood had only one usable part because on the left side there was a hole that prevented me from using its full volume.

I marked the different heights with a pencil and started to turn the wood back.
The interlocking with the tube was designed in such a way that the wood is the continuation of the metal tube getting stuck inside it.
I had done the same in the previous version, but in that case I was starting from a wooden cylinder with the diameter already defined.

By measuring with the calibre, I was able to reach the desired size and the fit was perfect. I smoothed the outer part of the foot and made a slight incised line at the base inspiring me to the cones that are on the way.
However, the shape is not part of the language of the scaffolding.

Wanting to replace all the feet made earlier I started to do another 4 feet again without imposing a particular shape but trying to make 4 different ones by experimenting with turning and the use of various tools to subtract material.

It was fun and I got used to the lathe. The time to make the 4 inserts was quick but, after having measured several times the correct diamentro, I realized that, having also finished with sandpaper, the joint was too weak because I had subtracted too much thickness by smoothing.

In order to have a better fit, I applied a paper tape to increase the thickness. From the outside it is not visible of course but it was a failure in terms of precision.

Once again the shapes are not related to my final purpose but serve as a passage to understand what types of geometries are possible and what precautions to take in making them.

The next day, wanting to continue experimenting with the lathe, I went to buy wood in Peckham.
I chose the sapele wood because talking to the owner of the shop he told me that it is a good wood to turn.
The veins, color and shape, from which I could get parallelepipeds were the characteristics that I considered buying that portion of wood.

Back in the workshop I cut a square-based parallelepiped and started to create the initial cylinder.
The new experiment was to work the wood not only from the side but also from one of the two extremes.
The aim was to have a joint opposite to the one made before. The wood that wraps around the metal.

Initially I decided to do a test of this technique with measures greater than that of the interlocking for the pipe.
I made this small bowl worked first on the side and then in depth.

Once I understood how to proceed I started to make the interlocking for my stool and the result was perfect in the measures. But I didn’t like the result at the eastern level. The conitnuity between the two forms was lost.
However, what I was interested in trying to understand was how far it was possible to go in depth, thus creating a “shell” for the wood.

Once again I left the project and tried to go as far as I could in a cylinder that had advanced from previous processes.
I started using a tool that would allow me to go deep by making straight walls on the advice of Neal who also warned me that this type of wood would easily be subject to breakage if I kept a too thin thickness.
So it was, a slight mismatch and there was a small explosion.
Piece to throw away, time finished.

Applying wood oil I was surprised at the way it changed completely. Below is a picture where you see the before and after on different pieces.
I had already used these products previously for other woodworking in the past, but it was still like rediscovering an astonishment for the change in perception of a material. It turned on like a light, from a light bulb off to one on. The veins are now legible and clear, the reflections fascinate and to the touch is even softer. Both woods have unleashed their souls and suddenly its value has increased dramatically.

Here we find all these experiments from this session.
There have been no steps forward from the point of view of the aesthetics of the scaffolding but the exercise has allowed me to understand the limits and difficulties to keep in mind when designing with this machinery.

Now I know how to use the tools, with which I feel at ease and I have also tried all kinds of joints that I had in mind.
Next time I’ll be able to optimize the time and improve the result by having more caution on the process.